Monument record REY 008 - Reydon Smear/The Grove
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 499 784 (140m by 258m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||REYDON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rom building material and a dark grey bowl found in plantation at Reydon Smear. Bowl now in Southwold Museum. Information from (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S1). Scatter of pottery along E boundary of the wood (S2).
198204: Rom brick kilns marked on 6 inch record map at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) in 1982 (S3). Possibly tile kilns or remains of salt working site, cf similar site at Blythburgh, originally identified as tile kiln site (BLB 003).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM47NE1, 1950.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 24, 1948, (3), 168.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of (S1) in Easton Bavents parish file.
- <S2> SSF22794 (No record type): Warner P, undated.
- <S3> SSF6762 (No record type): Gardner T H, map and letter to Mrs L Bradford, 30 April 1982.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2009 10:10AM