Find Spot record IPS 232 - St. Nicholas Church Hall, Churchgate House, Cutler Street, Ipswich (IAS 5104).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1620 4426 (16m by 28m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
1990: Saxon pottery and other material recovered during watching brief from mechanically excavated stanchion holes in circa 2m depth of made ground. Numerous pits/wells encountered, most archaeological deposits removed prior to development. Pottery included 300g Ipswich ware, 420g Thetford type ware (includes two half pots). Also St Neots ware , Medieval Coarseware, Late Medieval Glazed Ware and Post-Medieval pot (S1-S3).
Also one stave built well lining mechanically recovered from a deep hole (circa 4m from modern ground level) - definitely a re-used barrel, date probably Mid/Late Saxon. Dendrochronology being done by Sheffield University.
- <S1> SSF19931 Unpublished document: Newman J. 1990. SAU, Newman J, site report, IPS 232/IAS 5104, April 1990. SAU, Newman J, site report, IPS 232/IAS 5104, April 1990.
- <S2> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 5104.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 5104.
- FSF26235: BARREL (Middle Saxon to Late Saxon - 650 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF9472: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FSF9600: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF9601: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF9602: ANIMAL REMAINS (Middle Saxon to Late Saxon - 650 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF9626: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF9627: POTTERY ST NEOTS (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 14th century - 850 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF9628: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 28 2016 11:05AM