Monument record LCS 009 - Medieval artefact scatter of pottery, much of it heavily burnt.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4534 6353 (51m by 51m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LEISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
`Masses' of dark pottery (?Med), much of it heavily burnt. Found on field surface by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)(S1). Further pottery noticed in an area `about half a football pitch', and smaller patches of pale clay resulting from deeper ploughing. Finder suggests clay areas definitely not natural (S1). January 1993: Scatter (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) including 1 rim Thetford type ware, 3 body sherds EMed coarseware, 18 rim, 7 base, 1 handle & 78 body sherds Med coarseware, 2 body sherds Med glazed ware, 1 fragment daub & (Med?) iron knife. Also 1 Rom(?) body sherd & PMed brick & tile, bronze crotal(?) bell and 1 lead musket ball (S2).
- FSF16782: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF16783: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD? to 1100 AD?)
- FSF16784: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 14th century - 1000 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- FSF16785: (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF16786: KNIFE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2013 3:44PM