Monument record ELV 015 - Turf covered bank of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 827 779 (46m by 425m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
`(2) Turf covered bank. 17.0m wide, 0.4 (?or 0-1)m high' (S1).
January 2020. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A possible post medieval boundary bank is seen as an earthwork (which has since been levelled) on aerial photographs (S1-S3). The bank most likely relates to a former post medieval boundary bank. However it is also possible that the bank may relate to a parkland feature within Elveden park and gardens. The bank can be seen as an earthwork in the 1940s and is presumed be levelled as the feature is not visible on recent (2018) aerial photographs (S3). The bank is in close proximity to further possible post medieval boundaries to the north. The bank is not seen on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Map (S4).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th January 2020.
- <S1> SSF15266 (No record type): OS. 1:10560 record map, TL 87 NW, handwritten notation, undated.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/LA/129 FP 1067-1068 14-FEB-1945 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1801 RS 4171-4172 25-OCT-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 18-SEP-2018 ACCESSED 15-JAN-2020 (Digital).
- <S5> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2020 5:04PM