Monument record HFD 011 - Mound, motte or small ringwork within a c ropmark of a small rectangular enclosure of unknown date. (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3390 7437 (138m by 116m)|
|Civil Parish||HUNTINGFIELD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Mound, motte or small ringwork?, within cropmark of rectangular enclosure, within former irregular field boundary cropmark, to W of Huntingfield Hall complex.
`(5) Mound. Probable Motte, ? Bailey' - handwritten notation on OS record map (S1). OS record card (R1) not seen.
Depicted as discontinous circle of circa 50m diameter labelled 'Earthwork (site of)' on OS map of circa 2000. Nothing shown on OS maps of 1880s and early 1900s - later editions not seen but presumably depicted as circular earthwork on one of these. . Nothing shown on OS 1st edition 1 inch map of 1837.
Field named 'Lower Brick Kiln' in tithe apportionment of circa 1846
Circa 1970s: sketch plan and measured section drawings of earthwork described as 'Remnants of mound/tumulus' by Jack Shields (MAFF & amatuer archaeologist) - copy in parish file (S5).
April 1971: aerial photograph appearing to show earthworks of circular motte/mound (?) and ditch within sub-rectangular (double?) ditched (& banked?) sub-rectangular enclosure (S4).
June 1986: circular cropmark, circa 50m diameter,within rectangular cropmark circa 80m (or much more - AP unclear) X 70m, situated within cropmark of former (extant on early 1900s and 19th century maps) field boundary on AP (S2).
1991: still surviving as denuded earthwork of ditch with low internal bank (S3).
Plotted on HER map after (S4) though length to east uncertain.
Med pottery scatter and several lead ampullas inside - see med.
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <S1> SSF12676 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 record map, TM 37 SW, handwritten notation, undated.
- <R1> SSF15247 (No record type): OS, record card, TM37SW5.
- <S2> SSF21123 (No record type): SCC, vertical AP, 1986, 3586 075 (Ipswich).
- <S3> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Newman J (SAU), Dec 1991, map.
- <S4> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. East Suffolk County Council, AP, HSL UK 71 35 run 35 S74 0065, 11/4/1971.
- <S5> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. Jack Shields (MAFF), undated.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 23 2020 7:56AM