Monument record COM 009 - Combs Hall and Garden
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0510 5687 (366m by 326m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Earthworks of a former garden and hall to the N of the church and E of the site of Combs Hall. Seen first during 1978 pasture survey, then photographed from the air. The garden is in the form of three or more terraces falling from the W (?Hall site) with E-W wings to the south and in part to the N, where they appear to be interrupted by the churchyard (S1). The Hall is not now extant but there appear to be earthworks in the right place at the head of the garden.
Combs Hall bought by Bridgman family in 1667 and splendidly rebuilt by Orlando Bridgman between 1710-1730. In ownership of Ambrose Crawley in 1741 when large map of estate, centreing on Badley and Combs Halls survives& illustrates an elevation of Bridgman's hall (S2)(S3). The earlier hall is depicted on William Tallemach's plan of 1710 (S2)(S4).
House of 1710 stood in square enclosure to W of church tower, TM 0508 5688. House of circa 1710-30 stood slightly to SE of this at TM 0510 5685. Fittings from the demolished house sold 1756 (S5)(S6). Layout of large formal garden shown on map of 1741 - much of this still survives as earthworks (S7). See also Combs 007.
For recent survey see (S8).
- <S1> SSF18580 (No record type): SAU, AP AJJ 3-6.
- <M1> SSF41061 (No record type): APs: AJJ 3-6.
- <M2> SSF41062 (No record type): Pasture survey: (SAU) notebook.
- <S2> SSF838 (No record type): Archive News, SRO, 2nd ser, 4, April 1991.
- <S3> SSF3987 (No record type): Collier W, `Survey of the Manor of Badley etc', map, 1741, SRO I, 638.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: NB. original parish file stolen 1981; now contains (S2) & (S3).
- <S4> SSF21574 (No record type): SRO, HA1/EA1/22.
- <S5> SSF9926 (No record type): Ipswich Journal, 1756, 4.
- <S6> SSF15530 (No record type): Partridge Charles, E Anglian Misc, 1932, 71.
- <S7> SSF21282 (No record type): Sketch map, Martin E, 1992.
- <S8> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Martin E & Oswald A, 'The House & Gardens of Combs Hall, near Stowmarket', PSIAH, 38, 1996, 409-27,.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 8 2003 12:13PM