Monument record SUT 057 - Sutton Hoo (Preh)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 292 484 (1904m by 1200m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Series of connected field boundaries with part ?trackways on N & W sides. Cut by 2nd World War anti-glider ditches. Part excavated during 1980s. Consisting of small rectangular fields of less than 1 hectare and larger fields of circa 4 hectare. Also `Hogg earthworks' to SW - L shaped. Claimed as prehistoric (?) on (S1). Further details in Research Committee bulletins. Area includes ring ditch, SUT 058, finds scatters SUT 46-48 and Sutton Hoo scheduled area, SUT 004.
A probable Prehistoric rectilinear ditched field system is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 289944843. The field system covers an area roughly 0.3 km 2 and mainly consists of a system of adjoining rectilinear ditched enclosures arranged on a roughly east-west and north-south alignment. The largest enclosures measure roughly 160m by 100m, such as the enclosure centred on TM 28994870, though there are a number of smaller enclosures, like those centred on TM 28534855, measuring for example 60m by 35m. There are also a number of double-ditched boundaries, such as those centred on TM 28694853 and TM 28794844, which may represent trackways or more important boundaries. (S2-S8) It has been reported in the Bulletin of the Sutton Hoo Research Committee that the field system elements follow a similar alignment to those defined by excavation (S1) and that the "broad ditches criss-crossing the Sutton Hoo promontory and hinterland, mapped by aerial photography" came into existence during the later Neolithic and early Bronze Age. (S9) The field system does not appear to be related to the trackways, recorded in SUT 057, which follow a different alignment or to system of earthwork enclosures, also recorded in SUT 057. (S10)
- <S1> SSF2927 (No record type): Bulletin of the Sutton Hoo Res Comm, 6, April 1989, pp 15-16 fig 8.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. NMR TM 2848/27 (CAP BXH49) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. NMR TM 2848/29 (CAP BXH51) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. NMR TM 2848/30 (CAP BXH52) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. NMR TM 2848/31 (CAP BXH53) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S6> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. NMR TM 2848/32 (CAP BXH54) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S7> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. NMR TM 2848/33 (CAP BYZ59) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S8> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2848/12 (SF1767/76) 04-JUN-1980.
- <S9> SXS50112 Serial: The Sutton Hoo Research Trust. July 1993. Bulletin of the Sutton Hoo Research Committee No. 8. Hummler, M. pp 21-23.
- <S10> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 10/07/02.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 22 2008 4:34PM