Monument record RGD 005 - Redisham Hall & Park; Screw Park; Home Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 401 858 (1129m by 1430m)|
|Civil Parish||REDISHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||RINGSFIELD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Aerial view of Redisham Hall and Park (S1).
Redisham Hall - brick house built 1823 for John Garden. Additions of 1905 including ballroom & garden terrace. The original 5 bay, 2 storey house with its mansard roof survives in the centre (S2). Standing in an extensive park (S3). Note earlier mansion named Little Redisham Hall (occupied by Revd D Tanner) shown on Hodskinson 1783 map. For church and ? DMV in park, see RGD 002 & 003.
There was an earlier hall to SW of present building. The Park is defined on 1880s OS map and named on 1900s and later maps and includes two hollow ways, one in association with RGD 002. The formal gardens include a ha-ha and garden wall constructed of C18 brick. For details see (S4).
For Redisham Hall mound see RSM Misc.
- <S1> SSF18918 (No record type): SAU, APs CEK 1-2.
- <M1> SSF44400 (No record type): APs: CEK 1-2.
- <S2> SSF2946 (No record type): Burkes & Savills, Guide to Country Houses: E Anglia, vol 3, 1981.
- <S3> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 398.
- <S4> SSF23222 (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks & Gardens in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2018 11:19AM