Find Spot record IKL 106 - Findspot of a plain Bronze-Age square sectioned socketed axe.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 773 730 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A plain square sectioned socketed axe. Reputedly found in a gravel spread outside an inn at TL 7715 7293 `a few years ago' (i.e. before 1968). `The origin of the gravel is believed to be the pit at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)' (S1)(S2). (?misprinting of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) - see IKL 012.)
`This information now would appear to be dubious to say the least, if not a complete fabrication. The axe was probably found in Icklingham circa (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), some years ago, stolen from finder (un-named), and subsequently sold to an American'. Colour slide & black & white photograph in possession of Geoff Moss (S3)(R1). (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) named as one of above individuals. Cast also held by Geoff Moss (S4).
Formerly recorded under IKL 012.
- <R1> SSF11561 (No record type): Moss G I, slide & photograph, circa 1970.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suffolk, 1968, PSIA, 31, 1968, (2), 193.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE60.
- <S3> SSF11559 (No record type): Moss G I, record sheet, circa 1970.
- <S4> SSF11553 (No record type): Moss G I, May 1993.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2013 4:49PM