Monument record EYE 032 - Victoria Mill, Castleton Road; Mortimers Mill

Please read our .

Summary

Post mill built in 1779 and worked until 1930's. Listed Building.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 1393 7425 (50m by 50m)
Map sheet TM17SW
Civil Parish EYE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Post mill built in 1779 and worked until 1930's. Collapsed in 1955. Parts used in restoration of other mills, e.g. Framsden Post Mill. 1990: Remains consist of: roundhouse walls and 4 piers; a pair of mill stones; the main post; numerous beams including cross trees, quarter bars, sheer trees, side girts, floor beams, sprattle beams etc, `in advanced state of decay'. Suffolk Mills Group aim to preserve main post. Further details in (S1).

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <S1> (No record type): Suffolk Mills Group, Hullcoop C, notes in support of LB consent, LB/164/ 90, December 1990.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
  • <S3> Article in serial: A, A. Bryan. 1998. Windmill gazetteer for England.
  • <S4> Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. BF004817.
  • <S5> Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments. NRI01.
  • <S6> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jun 25 2021 2:15PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.