Monument record RMS 019 - Undated rectilinear ditched enclosures, Ramsholt parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3023 4263 (174m by 205m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||RAMSHOLT, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Faint cropmark of possible irregular adjoining enclosure or enclosures. Southernmost incomplete due to modern trackway and possible hedgerow, northern circa 40m x 50m (S1).
Photograph (S1) was not available for examination and the enclosures mentioned above could not be located on any of the other photography. (S2) (S3) (S4) The features that were identified may have been natural as there are a number of geological marks in this area. However, two other possible rectilinear ditched enclosures are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs in this area. Two sides of one possible enclosure, centred on TM 30194258, can be seen, as well as three sides of a much smaller enclosure, centred on TM 30274255. The date and function of these enclosures are unknown. (S3) (S4)
See RMS 023 for other nearby enclosures.
- <S1> SSF21124 (No record type): SCC, Vertical AP, black & white, HSLUK 7143 Run 31 0205, April 1971.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopies (S1).
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNB11) 08-JUN-1973.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3042/6 (4507/13) 17-JUL-1989.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3042/7 (4507/14) 17-JUL-1989.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:59PM