Monument record BSE 094 - Site of a Medieval cross.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8472 6448 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Cross (site of)(S1)(R1). Grid reference cited as TL 8471 6447 (S1), sited on 1:2500 OS map at TL 8472 6448 (S2).
Note cross base (BSE 093) sited nearby until circa 1980 - possibly re-siting of base of this cross?
In 945, King Edmund gave St Edmund the land between 4 stone crosses (as a gift). This land became known as the Banleuca of St Edmund. One of these stone crosses stood somewhere in out Risbygate, not far from St peters Hospital (S3).
- <R1> SSF12804 (No record type): OS, 1:500 map, 1885.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS card, TL86SW4, 1960 entry.
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, TL 84 64, 1966.
- <S3> SSF54233 Bibliographic reference: Margaret Statham. 1996. The Book of Bury St Edmunds. 2nd ed.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 2:02PM