Monument record BRM 006 - Brome Hall; Ling Hall (PMed)

Please read our .

Summary

Brome Hall, probably on, or close to, site of Ling Hall

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 154 761 (471m by 839m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM17NE
Civil Parish BROME AND OAKLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Part 1 - see CRN 12431 Part 2 for S9-S11
Brome Hall, probably on, or close to, site of Ling Hall - see Med. Brome Hall was built circa 1550 and by Sir Thomas Cornwallis, who succeeded to the Brome properties in 1544. Work still continuing in 1556 when 225,000 bricks were made and arrangements made for the water supply to the house. Much of the house was beginning to decay at the time of the last Marquis Cornwallis, Charles (died 1823) and much was pulled down before 1840. It was finally demolished in 1959 (S1).
House and extensive formal gardens shown on a print by J Kip 1707 (S2). This shows an avenue leading to an E-shaped house with a large central porch. Additional wings are shown on the E, S & W sides of the house; sunkengarden with a central pond and fountain, bordered by a canal, shown to the S of the house. Front elevation of the house also depicted in a ?late C18 drawing (S3) - a version of this appears in (S4) labelled `1620'.
In 1819 it is recorded that a great part of the Hall had been taken down a few years previously (S5) and in 1844 that the house had been considerably reduced in size and was then unoccupied (S6). Alterations apparently made circa 1815 by George Wyatt, subsequently demolished 1863 (S7). In 1865 recorded that the ancient mansion had been taken down and a new hall built on its site (S8). New house built for Sir E C Kerrison. His wife, Lady Caroline, laid out a Dutch garden and terrace and was also responsible for the topiary work (S4). Rebuilt Hall described as mostly late C19 Tudor with big polygonal tower, mullioned windows and bay windows - demolished 1963. Extensive topiary gardens (S9). (S10) erraneously says that it was the Wyatt building that was demolished in 1963. Stable block ? all that now remains of original buildings.
Details of sun dial, clock and hall in (R1).

Sources/Archives (13)

  • <S1> (No record type): Kenwothy-Browne, J.. Kenworthy-Browne J et al, Burke's and Savill's Guide to Country Houses, vol III, E Anglia, 1981, 220.
  • <S1> (No record type): King, E.D.. King E D (parish recorder) local history record sheets and sketch map, April 1971.
  • <R1> (No record type): King, E.D.. King E D, The Mark of Time, ill.
  • <S1> (No record type): Yaxley D in West S E, `Brome, Suffolk: The excavation of a moated site', 1967, Journ Brit Arch Assoc.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (Oakley) (S11); (Brome) copies of (S2) & (S3).
  • <S2> (No record type): Kip, J.. Kip J, Britannia Illustrated, London 1707.
  • <S3> (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, Fitch Illustrations.
  • <S4> (No record type): Bateman-Hanbury, Hon A R, `Brome Hall', PSIA 14 pt 2, 1911, 227-237, ill.
  • <S5> (No record type): Cromwell T, Excursions in the County of Suffolk, 1819, vol 2, 26.
  • <S6> (No record type): Brown C, Haward B & Kindred R, Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, 1991, 207.
  • <S7> (No record type): White's Directory of Suffolk, 1844, 326.
  • <S8> (No record type): Post Office Directory of Cambs, Norfolk & Suffolk 1865, 638.
  • <S9> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 118.

Finds (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Dec 31 2007 2:45PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.