Monument record WLN 013 - Ralphs Mill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4441 6853 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ralph's Mill. Small four storey smock mill, built by Whitmore's. It ceased work in 1914 and was pulled down to a stump in 1969. This was further demolished in 1975 and only the brick plinth and concrete lower floor remain. There were four patent sails, two pairs of stones and an ogee cap with gallery and fantail (S1). First mapped in 1783 when postmill (S2)(S3). ?Replaced by smock mill in 1830s?
- <M1> SSF43333 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 48.
- <S2> SSF6481 Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
- <S3> SSF5277 (No record type): Dolman P C J, list of Suffolk windmills on maps, undated.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM46NW12, 1979.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 22 2010 3:45PM