Monument record BUC 029 - Prehistoric features and finds at Bucklesham to Alton Water Raw Water Main
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2404 4114 (228m by 162m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
1991-1995: Monitoring recovered prehistoric pottery sherds from the part of the pipe trench in the area of the Bucklesham 015 cropmark complex. A large enclosure ditch was also revealed. Subsequent trial trenches along 140m length of pipe were examined and revealed pottery, a few large post-hole/small pit type features and one pit. The second area with evidence of occupation was nearer the centre of the cropmark enclosure. Here the features included an area of burnt clay (possibly a hearth) and various possible post-holes and small pits, a possible slot, a small ditch and one large pit. The large pit contained several finds including decorated pottery sherds and contained a charcoal rich fill. The third area examined was at the western side of the cropmark enclosure and revealed 3 ditches. Other finds recovered while metal detecting along the pipe trench include a copper alloy brooch fragment possibly Romano-British and a copper alloy Roman coin (S1).
June 1994: Two samples sent for radiocarbon dating. Results of 90 & 85 (plus or minus 60) bc, calibrated to 151BC - AD16 & 113BC - AD19. Details in (S2).
- <S1> SSF19793 Unpublished document: Newman, J. and Boulter, S.. 1991 & 1995. A Record of the Archaeological Works Associated with the Laying of the Bucklesham to Alton Water Raw Water Main.
- <S3> SSF21139 (No record type): Scottish Universities Research & Reactor Centre, Radiocarbon Dating Laboratory (Cook G), `Bucklesham.
- FSF22166: POTTERY (Late Iron Age - 90 BC to 85 BC)
- FSF22167: POTTERY BELGIC (Late Iron Age - 90 BC to 85 BC)
- FSF22168: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF22169: (Late Iron Age - 90 BC to 85 BC)
- FSF46129: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF46130: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 60 AD)
- FSF46131: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2020 11:18AM