Monument record LVM 016 - Large Post Medieval six-storey tower mill.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 915 498 (46m by 46m)|
|Civil Parish||LAVENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Large six-storey tower mill of elegant proportions, built in 1831 by Thomas Bear to replace a post mill. It worked until about 1920 when the mill was pulled down. The two-storied shell of the base remains on a prominent mound above the mill house. There were four patent sails, a domed cap with fantail and two pairs of stones. When built, the cost for all the machinery to be built into the prepared tower was 430 pounds (S1). The earliest mapping for the post mill is 1783 (S2)(S3)(S4). Mill shown on a map of 1580 and then appears to have belonged to the Manor of Melford (S5).
A Myller is recorded amongst occupations for Lavenham for 1552 (S6).
- <M1> SSF45892 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 44.
- <S2> SSF6493 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 137.
- <S3> SSF5278 (No record type): Dolman P C J, list of Suffolk windmills on maps, undated ms.
- <S4> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S5> SSF5449 (No record type): Dymond D & Johnstone G, Israel Amyce's Map of Melford Manor, 1580, n.d..
- <S6> SSF2989 (No record type): Bury Record Office (Ref 45.5), A Military Survey of the Babergh Hundred, 1522.
- <S7> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1891.
- <S8> SSF56643 Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments. Recorded by HT White, 24-Apr-1969, Record No.268411.
- <S9> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 13-MAR-81.
- <S10> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. BF004915.
- <S11> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. NRI01.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2021 9:42AM