Monument record ADT 023 - Small Post Medieval smock mill, built circa 1796.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3457 4161 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDERTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Small octagonal smock mill, built circa 1796, it fell into disuse in the mid 1930s and was demolished in 1956. It had four double shuttered patent sails, a fantail and drove two pairs of stones. The foundations can be seen in a builder's yard (S1).
- <M1> SSF39814 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 49.
- <S2> SSF6484 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 129.
- <S3> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2021 10:24AM