Monument record GED 004 - Chillesford Lodge

Please read our .


Chillesford Lodge.


Grid reference Centred TM 398 501 (4m by 4m)
Map sheet TM35SE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Chillesford Lodge. Small tower mill, built in the early C19 and heightened at some later date. It ceased work in the late 1930s and was restored in 1955/6. Unfortunately it was tailwinded a few years later and the cap and top of the tower were smashed. It was subsequently pulled down and now only the lower storey remains, with the scoop wheel and shaft in place. There were four patent sails, a boat shaped cap and a fantail (S1). First mapped in 1820 (S2).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <M1> (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2).
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 51.
  • <S2> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S2> (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 144.
  • <S3> Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments. Recorded by MJ Barnard, 22-Mar-1972, Record No.268421.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 23 2021 12:14PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.