Monument record LCS 017 - Sea Wall Mill

Please read our .


`Sea Wall Mill.


Grid reference Centred TM 477 663 (100m by 100m)
Map sheet TM46NE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

`Sea Wall Mill. Small smock mill, built in the early C19. It ceased work by wind in 1935 when the pole end of the wooden windshaft broke off. It was badly damaged by gunnery practice in the war and finally collapsed in June 1976. The base and wreckage still remain and may eventually be converted into a hide for the bird sanctuary, in which the mill stands. There were four patent sails, a boat shaped cap with fantail and a scoop wheel' (S1). First mapped in 1826 (S2).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <M1> (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2).
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 52.
  • <S2> (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 144.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

May 25 1995 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.