Building record WLB 013 - Westwood Marshes; Oldtown Marshes
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 486 736 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WALBERSWICK, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Small tower mill, possibly dated 1798 although it may date from later. It worked until 1940 and was used for target practice during the war. The damage was repaired in the 1950s but unfortunately two young boys burnt it out in October 1960. The tower now stands with the cap mostly destroyed and the interior floors and gearing damaged. At one time a pair of stones were driven, used for estate grinding. There were four common sails, a boat shaped cap with tailpole and a scoop wheel (S1). First mapped 1897 (S2). Location approximate after OS 1:10560 map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2016 4:44PM