Monument record WRE 008 - Wrentham Hall (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 489 832 (100m by 100m) Approximate|
|Civil Parish||WRENTHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Wrentham Hall (site of). House built by Brewster family (Humphrey Brewster acquired manor of Wrentham Perpounds or South Hall in 1576 and manor of Wrentham Northall or Poinings in 1577). On the death of Humphrey Brewster 1797, the Hall passed to an aunt and a cousin who sold it 1810 to Sir Thomas Gooch of Benacre Hall. The Hall was demolished by Gooch and the materials were sold at auction August 1810 (S1)(S2).
Site of Hall marked on Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk 1783. Engraving in (S2) shows a house with a five-gabled symmetrical brick front, consisting of two wings and a central porch, all with crow-stepped gables and side finials, 3 storeyed; lower ancilliary buildings on either side. An old sundial that belonged to it is now at Benacre Hall (S3).
Francis Brewster had 18 hearths here in 1674.
According to sketch map of Mr R Middleditch of Blackmoor Farm (July 2004) the site of the hall was in the area of TM490834 (HER mapping revised accordingly) and has a 'swale' (sunken earthwork?) about a 100m long to the N (letter and map in parish file).
- <R1> SSF2427 (No record type): Browne J, `History of the Congregational Church at Wrentham', 1854 (drawing of Hall opposite page 8).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: drawing of the Hall circa 1770.
- <S1> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 545.
- <S2> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, vol 2, 1908, 210-212.
- <S3> SSF5115 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Little Guide - Suffolk, 1957, 385.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 18 2022 2:07PM