Monument record FSF 042 - Medieval and later artefact scatter at Home Farm, on edge of former Great Whittingham Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 288 783 (84m by 94m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FRESSINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Scatter of pottery, metal and stone artefacts on the southern edge of the former Great Whittingham Green (see FSF 040) found or reported over several years.
1991: Scatter of pottery on the southern edge of the former Great Whittingham Green (see FSF 040). Pottery consisted mainly of unglazed C13-C14 wares with a much smaller component of part-glazed wares taht could be C14-C15 and a sprinkling of PMed sherds, also a whetstone fragment and a single, very eroded, sherd of Rom Samain ware. Oyster shell also present (S1).
1997: Collection of finds from one of three plots identified on southern edge of Great Whittingham Green (FSF 041; 042; 043), site described as " the most prolific in terms of pottery and other medieval finds mostly 15th - 16th Century in date". Medieval: lava quern fragment; three iron ?mill-picks for preliminary working of mill stones; gilded copper alloy oval buckle (?harness) with integral plate, hooked end, strap loop riveted onto the plate; three copper alloy buckle plates and other fittings, two gilded. Medieval - post medieval: gilded hooked fitting with oval decorated plate. ?Medieval: gilded copper alloy bell. Post medieval - recent: miscellaneous material (S3)
2003: Late saxon bronze sword pommel found metal detecting (S2).
- --- SSF58654 (No record type):
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: fieldwalking & finds reports sheets.
- <S1> SSF7264 Finds Report: Hardy M J,. 1991. Fieldwalking reports. Hardy M J, 1991.
- <S2> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. Minter, F., SCCAS. Sf-180397. 2003.
- <S3> SSF58655 Finds Report: Plouviez, J.. 1997. SCCAS: Finds Report: Fressingield (FSF 042).
- FSF11967: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF11968: WHETSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF11969: POTTERY GRIMSTON (12th century to 15th century - 1175 AD to 1450 AD)
- FSF11970: (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF30089: SWORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 900 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF47860: QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF47861: PICK? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF47862: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF47863: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF47864: STRAP END? (Undated)
- FSF47865: STRAP FITTING (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF47866: ANIMAL BELL? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF47867: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 6 2021 9:44PM