Monument record HAM 016 - Henham Hall Garden
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 450 783 (170m by 197m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD WITH HENHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Walled gardens - one described as the "Great Garden on the North" and one as "The Garden on the West" and shown with a formal pattern of paths - shown adjacent to the Tudor courtyard house (see HAM 015) on a map of 1699 (S1). The northern walled garden still survives, subdivided into two by an E-W wall. The smaller western garden which had two ornamental summer houses attached to the walls at the W end has been largely demolished, though the wall dividing it from the N garden still survives. An orchard bounded the two gardens on the W side. Later crinkle-crankle wall in the garden (S2). Also see (S3) & S4).
For larger park (also Registered) see HAM 018.
- <S1> SSF11890 (No record type): Nicholson R, "Part of the Manr. of Henham 1699", S.R.O. (I) HA11/C9/19..
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: sketch of (S1).
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 265..
- <S3> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. Popham J, Henham Estate: site for proposed Hall in Henham Park, consultation draft, May 1996, ill.
- <S4> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. Martin E A (SCCAS), to Popham J, June 1996.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2012 10:22AM