Monument record ADT 027 - Ring ditch at Buckanay Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3590 4215 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDERTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Faint cropmark of ring ditch - approx 15m diameter (TM35904216) (S1). E of ADT 026.
The faint cropmark of a ring ditch is visible on aerial photographs in Alderton parish, centred on TM 35904215. The ring ditch encloses an area of 17m in diameter and the proximity of a number of other possible ring ditches suggests that it may be the plough-levelled remains of a Bronze Age round barrow.(S2) Grid reference altered to fit rectified plot. (S3)
April 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
This ring ditch is likely to have formed part of a Bronze Age round barrow cemetery, see ADT 105 for details.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 20th April 2016.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP, BJQ 48, July 1972..
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP, BJQ 48..
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. S423 4-5 20-AUG-1941.
- <S3> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 19/03/04.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34SW. Mapping Block 3: Sutton to Hollesley. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23666)) (ESF23666)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2016 2:14PM