Monument record MUN 014 - The Folly
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6858 6486 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MOULTON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1838: Not shown on tithe map.
1844: `On Folly Heath is an ancient pyramidal building, which may be seen at a distance of 20 miles, and is said to have been built by one of the Earls of Orford' (S1).
`It has been suggested that this may be the remains of an old hawk house - but no documentary evidence of this can be found at present' (S2).
1880s & 1900s: mapped in plan as stubby 'T' shaped building by OS (S6, S7)
1907: 'On Folly Heath is the end of an ancient building…' (S5)
1926: Shown as rectangular building with short central projection to SE(as on 1880s & 1900s maps) (S4).
1958: Shown as Standing Building on OS 1:10560 map (S3).
1975: No longer shown on OS 1:10000 map.
- <S1> SSF23143 (No record type): Whites Directory of Suffolk, 1844, 739.
- <S2> SSF11571 (No record type): Moulton and District News Round, 1-12, 1972-5.
- <S3> SSF12620 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, TL 66 SE, 1958.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, 1926.
- <S5> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 267.
- <S6> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S7> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 5 2007 12:39PM