Monument record BFD 028 - Bredfield House (site of) and Stable; Fitzgerald House (and (Watching Brief) BACKLOG)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2667 5138 (23m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||BREDFIELD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Bredfield House (site of). Built in 1665, demolished in 1950 (S8). Stables remain, with big shaped gables at the ends (S1).
House stood at TM 2666 5138, facing E. Demolished circa 1950. All that remains is a rear service wing, part timber-framed, part brick, now called Fitzgerald Cottage (Edward Fitzgerald, the translator of Omar Khayyam was born here 1809). Timber-framed part includes a large S facing frieze window (now blocked) at first floor level and appears to be earlier than the demolished front range. The front range was built of brick with two large shaped gables similar to those that survive on the stables. View of the E front of the house circa 1770 exist (S2). House photographed shortly before demolition (S3); plans also exist for the house (S4).
Brick house built for Robert Marryott. M Candler, 1655, notes that Marryot `an attorney' `hath built a commodious house' (S5).
Stable at TM 2662 5139, listed Grade II (described as `barn'). Long brick range with large shaped gables similar to those formerly on the house and likely to be contemporary with it. Stable at S end of the range with remains of C18 fittings. Original E access door & windows now blocked. Separate tack room adjacent. N end used most recently as a cow-house/dairy. Lofts over. 5 bay staggered queen-post roof. Diaper pattern on exterior of N wall, possible remains of similar pattern on E wall. Stables shown on view of circa 1770 (S2).
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 114.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of (S2); Listed Building notes on stable;.
- <M2> SSF43543 (No record type): handouts prepared for SIAH excursion, 1995..
- <S2> SSF7142 (No record type): Gregory M, Georgian Houses Rediscovered, 1986, 11.
- <S3> SSF11653 (No record type): National Monuments Record.
- <S4> SSF893 (No record type): At Fitzgerald Cottage.
- <S5> SSF12129 (No record type): Norrington V, M Candler, ms of Suffolk Families.
- <S6> SSF10208 (No record type): Kenwothy-Browne, J.. Kenworthy-Browne et al, Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, III, E Anglia, 1981, 219 & photo.
- <S7> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 70-1, & photo.
- <S8> SSF50186 Article in serial: East Anglian Daily Times. 1 February, 1950.
- <S9> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 11 2015 3:30PM