Monument record BAR 055 - Mill Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 935 742 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||BARDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Water mill on river Black Bourne (S1). Same site as mill shown on Bowen's 1753 map (S2) and Hodskinson's 1783 map (S3).
Millers are recorded at Bardwell in 1600-1649, 1844 and 1912 (S4). Note two parts of one mill are listed in 1086 Domesday survey for Bardwell. Building shown on tithe map of 1838 (S5).
- <S1> SSF50245 Bibliographic reference: Gransden, Antonia. 2007. A History of The Abbey of Bury St Edmunds 1182-1256.
- <S2> SSF1403 (No record type): Bowen E, Map of 1753.
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S4> SSF6985 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, 1990.
- <S5> SSF1003 Map: 1838/39. Bardwell Tithe Map and Apportionment. Bardwell Tithe Map, SRO(B) T41/2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2016 2:29PM