Monument record SBT 017 - Hoard of Boy Bishop tokens and lead blanks found during metal detecting.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3684 7014 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||SIBTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
February 1992: Hoard of Boy Bishop tokens and lead blanks found metal detecting, consisting 194 groats (as Rigold plate 9b, R1), two pennies and 204 blank lead discs (all slightly heavier than groats)(S1)(S2). Excavated and recorded (by sketch section only) by finders - appeared to be two separate hoards, of similar make up (S3)(S4). Details to follow. Close (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s).
Two groat tokens & two blanks given to Moyses Hall Museum in 1996 (S5).
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 34, 1978, 87-102.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1-S4).
- <S1> SSF6665 (No record type): Fulcher D & Bradley P per SAU (Newman J), finds ID record, 1992.
- <S2> SSF9935 (No record type): Ipswich Mercury, 30 July 1992 & EADT, 24 July 1992.
- <S3> SSF20007 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, SBT 017, February 1992.
- <S4> SSF6672 (No record type): Fulcher D & Bradley P, sketch section, February 1992, and draft report.
- <S5> SSF18075 (No record type): SAU (Newman J), note, April 1996.
- <S6> SSF50029 Bibliographic reference: British Numismatics J. Newman J, 72, 2002, 175, plate 12.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2016 11:39AM