Monument record HVH 022 - Possible knackers yards and associated Medieval pits and ditches (MED)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6562 4510 (109m by 108m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HAVERHILL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
January (?) 1992: Fieldwalking of proposed Haverhill bypass route located concentration of Med finds especially in area 20-40m S of existing road adjoining Burton End. Finds listed as 64 sherds Med pottery, large quern and mill stone fragments & Med tile fragments. Area probably extends N of road but fieldwalking conditions poor (S1).
Excavation in advance of the construction of the by-pass in 1993 identified Medieval ditches, pits and surfaces and a probable medieval house site . The Medieval activity consisted of a probable road-side house with a crude surface behind it and a possible surface in front. Ditches marked the plotboundaries and several pits were identified in the back yard. One of these contained a large deposit of horse bone and has been interpreted as a medieval knackery. The pottery was mainly Hedingham wares. (s2)
Within are of widespread Med & Pmed metalwork scatter HVH 028.
Also see ROM.
- <S1> SSF20870 (No record type): SAU, Tester A, summary report of fieldwalking assessment, 1992.
- <M1> SSF46261 (No record type): Fieldwalking archive:.
- <S2> SSF19150 (No record type): SAU, Caruth J 1993.
- <S3> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 38 (2), 1994, p.214.
- FSF22284: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF22285: TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF22286: MILLSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF32171: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF39022: COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF39023: BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF39024: STRAP END (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2015 1:53PM