Monument record BGL 028 - Brightwell Hall (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 251 433 (292m by 287m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRIGHTWELL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Brightwell Hall: House built or remodelled by Sir Samuel Barnardiston Bt. House and large formal garden shown on an engraving by J Kip, 1707. House demolished circa 1760, though some of the farm buildings probably survive in the existing Brightwell Hall complex (S1).
Hall rebuilt by Sir Samuel Barnardiston in 1663; largely dismantled in 1760 except for portion used as a farmhouse (1909). Reputedly reproduced in drawing by Knuff. Site of former mansion converted to pasture land (S3).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopy of J Kip engraving, 1707.
- <S1> SSF5459 (No record type): Dymond D & Northeast P, A History of Suffolk, 1985, plate 27.
- <S2> SSF7215 (No record type): H R L (Lingwood), Brightwell Hall, E Anglian Miscellany, 1943, 38-9 & 1944, 1 & 3.
- <S3> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. Goult W, East Suffolk: A-H, 1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2006 4:09PM