Monument record LMD 081 - Trinity Hospital

Please read our .

Summary

Walled gardens of Trinity Hospital from 1573 plus almshouses etc.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8653 4667 (49m by 51m)
Map sheet TL84NE
Civil Parish LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Walled gardens 0.16 ha, 1573, of Trinity Hospital. Quadrangle of almshouses, 1573 by Sir William Cordell, restored 1847, modernised 1964. Embattled red brick garden wall beyond quadrangle has semi-circular headed gateway. Walls to S and E rebuilt 1980-82. Courtyard garden (S1).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> (No record type): English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Part 39 Suf.
  • <S2> Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 30-NOV-79.
  • <S3> Index: DoE. 1973. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Melford Rural District, Suffolk. January 1949.
  • <S4> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1968. OS 6".
  • <S5> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 3 2021 2:14PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.