Monument record COW 014 - Branches Park (house)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7073 5538 (62m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||COWLINGE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
The manor of Cowlinge and various other lands were acquired by Francis Dickins, a London Lawyer, shortly before 1720 (S1). He built a new house on his lands and was living at Cowlinge by 1728 (S1). A `good seat' called Branches is mentioned in 1735 (S2). Building probably continued until c. 1739 (date recorded on rainwater cisterns). Original rectangular block enlarged in the later C18 by the addition of single-storeyed side wings to the E and W. House enlarged and altered c. 1904-8 by G Hornblower and G A Tonge for Gilbert A Tonge: side wings extended and heightened, and a water tower and a staff wing enclosing a small courtyard were added. Further alterations by J Burlison and W Turner Lord 1935 (S3, S4). House demolished c. 1959 (S5) and a new smaller house built on part of the site. House illustrated in 1907 (S6); illustrated sales brochure 1956 (S7).
The fixtures and fittings of the mansion were sold by auction in March 1957 and the stable block and other outbuildings sold in April 1957, reserving to the vendors a right of way to remove the structure and fabric of the mansion house until 31 December 1957 (S9)
C18 stable building WNW of the house approximately contemporary with the original house. Brick 2 storeyed with an open octagonal cupola on the roof (S3). Shown as H-shaped and named as `coach house and stable' on a map of 1766 (S8). Central range seems to survive at TL 7064 5541. See also COW 013, 015, 016, 017.
See also (R1).
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
- <S1> SSF21856 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, acc 744 catalogue.
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracing from (S8), notes on (S1)..
- <S2> SSF10294 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby J, Suffolk Traveller, 1735, 149.
- <S3> SSF12150 (No record type): Notes on the houe by RWM Dowall 1957, supplied with planning application E/94/1060/P.
- <S4> SSF2405 (No record type): Brown C, Haward B & Kindred R, Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, 1991, 125.
- <S5> SSF10064 (No record type): Jennings, C.. Jennings C, The Identity of Suffolk, 1980, 143.
- <S6> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 117 & 118 (ills).
- <S7> SSF21866 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, HE 502/3/1.
- <S8> SSF21854 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, 744/4/10.
- <S9> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. R C Knight & Sons in conjunction with John D Wood & Co. Sale Catalogue, 10 April 1957..
- <S10> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2010 4:53PM