Monument record HWK 001 - Hardwick House

Please read our .

Summary

Site of former Hardwick Hall or House and park (part surviving - see BSE 105).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 851 621 (191m by 116m)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Sherd of a bung-hole cistern in Thetford type ware (S1).
For Hardwick House details see OS mapping and 'Lost Country Houses of Suffolk' by WM Roberts.
For associated park see BSE 105.

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: notes by JMC.
  • <S1> (No record type): Farrer E, Hardwick Manor House, Bury St Edmunds, 1928.
  • <S2> (No record type): Gage T, History of Thingoe Hundred, 183.
  • <S3> (No record type): Burke and Saville, Country Houses, Pt III, East Anglia.
  • <S4> (No record type): Auction at Hardwick House, illustrated sales catalogue, 1926.
  • <S5> (No record type): Redstone L J, Hardwick House, Bury St Edmunds, PSIA, vol XIV, 267 & 111 (plate facing).
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 174-6.
  • <S7> Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jul 13 2011 12:59PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.