Monument record HWK 002 - Hardwick Manor House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8484 6236 (104m by 97m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Hardwick Manor House was built approximately 1926-1928 by Mr Hewitt from building materials from the auction of Hardwick House (HWK 001) 1926. Built within the old brick-walled garden of Hardwick House (see OS 1880s map), facing W, built on foundations of a cottage which proved to have extensive domed cellars beneath. Farrer suggests these belonged to old Abbey Grange, in the days when the land belonged to Cellarist of Bury Abbey (S1). See also (R1).
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: notes by JMC.
- <S1> SSF6255 (No record type): Farrer E, Hardwick Manor House, Bury St Edmunds, 1928.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2011 12:42PM