Monument record SNN 009 - Moat, rectangular, with possible entrance of N side, and possible associated pond, paddock and field boundaries.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8815 5612 (155m by 97m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||BRADFIELD COMBUST WITH STANNINGFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat, rectangular, with possible entrance of N side, and possible associated pond, paddock and field boundaries (S4). Following axis of old field boundaries shown on OS 1:10560 (S1). 500m from Stanningfield church and nearest edge of parish boundary (S2). Within field named `moat field' on tithe (S3).
The cropmarks of a medieval moat and associated features to the south east of Stanningfield can be seen on aerial photographs taken in 2011. The remains of this rectangular moat are situated to the south east of Stanningfield at TL 8813 5612. It measures approximately 60m by 40m; the width of the moat is approximately 5m. It is set within the cropmarks of a series of field boundaries most of which are depicted on the 1885 Ordnance Survey map. The large cropmark to the west could equate to what appears to be a pond depicted on the OS map. The same map also depicts what may be a narrow band of water which coincided with the edge of the southern side of the moat. The map also shows a field boundary to the north of the moat following an irregular line before straightening at its eastern end. The cropmarks reflect this and a presumably earlier eastwards continuation of the irregular boundary ditch. This may be connected to a similar cropmark of a ditch which curves around to the south of the moat (S4).
- <S1> SSF12627 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, TL 85 NE, 1958.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BNB 46.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BNB 46, 11 June 1973.
- <S3> SSF21596 Map: 1838. Stanningfield Tithe Map and Apportionment. Stanningfield Tithe Map & Apportionment, 1838.
- <S4> SSF54757 Unpublished document: Brooks, R.. 2009. Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, around land near Hoggards Green, Bradfield Combust, Suffolk.
- <S4> SSZ54996 Oblique Aerial Photograph: English Heritage Archive. Oblique Aerial Photograph. 27035 001-009 20-JUN-2011.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 1 2022 12:55PM