Monument record HGH 011 - Deer park and landscape park, Haughley Park; Woolpit Wood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 00009 61574 (1722m by 1608m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HAUGHLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WETHERDEN, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WOOLPIT, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Deer Park associated with Haughley Park House. A deer park was in existence since 1262 (S5) In 1316 deer were hunted in the park. A Lodge may have existed in association with the park - in 1325 Edward II and his court stayed a week at Haughley. The park still existed in 1345, when it was robbed of its deer and in 1555, when the grant to John Sulyard specifically included both manor and park. In 1587, the deer introduced into the newly imparked Hengrave Park were 'out of Wetherden'. Although the boundaries of the early deer park are unknown it is likely it extended into Wetherden. In the 19th century, the park lay over the boundaries of Haughley, Woolpit and Wetherden. When the manor and estate were sold in 1811 reference was made to a park "a park and land containing about 396 acres". Landscape park depicted on 1840s Tithe Map with Haughley Park House in the south-east corner of a landscape park of about 120 acres. The name of the bordering arable fields included either 'Lawn' or 'Ploughed Park'. The 1884 OS map shows a moderately well-treed landscape park, with a high proportion of coniferous planting among the free-standing timber (S3).
Park & house shown on Bowens 1755 map and house shown and named `Hawleigh Park' on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S1)(S2).
Mapped based on OS field boundaries corresponding with Tithe Map and includes Woolpit Wood (S3). For associated ice-house, see Wetherden 006. W portion (including Woolpit Wood) shown as Med deer-park in (S4).Shown on Ogilby's map as a house within an emparked park (S6).
- <S1> SSF1406 Cartographic materials: Bowen E. 1755. Accurate Map of the County of Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF58578 Bibliographic reference: Rackham, O.. 1988. Medieval Deer Parks 1086-1602, An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF53541 Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
- <S6> SSF50161 Cartographic materials: John Ogilby. 1675. John Ogilby's Travellers Guide.
- <S7> SSF59814 Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) Gipping RD Suff 1950 55.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 2:00PM