Monument record HLY 031 - The Bruehouse (site of)

Please read our .

Summary

Group of four (?) buildings named as `The Bruehouse', marked on William Haiward's map of Shottisham, 1631 (S1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 3402 4604 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM34NW
Civil Parish HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Group of four (?) buildings named as `The Bruehouse', marked on William Haiward's map of Shottisham, 1631 (S1). All have now gone. For pottery scatters in this general area, see Shottisham 011. The name seems to mean `the heath house' - from old French `bruiere' meaning heath.

October 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
There was no evidence on the aerial photographs to suggest structural elements at this location, and it is worth noting that there are structures marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (S2) approximately 200m to the south, at TM 339 458 (SHER STT 024).
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th October 2015.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> (No record type): SRO (Ipswich) JA1/54/1 `Description and platte of the town of Shottisham... ' by William Haiward, 16.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photcopy of (S1).
  • <S2> Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Dec 2 2015 4:11PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.