Monument record RLM 021 - Rendlesham Hall (site of)

Please read our .


Rendlesham Hall, site of.


Grid reference Centred TM 3371 5391 (122m by 97m)
Map sheet TM35SW


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Rendlesham Hall, site of.
Large `Jacobean' style house built 1868-71 by William Burn for the 5th Lord Rendlesham, demolished in 1949 (S1)(S2).
The Hall was `to a great extent destroyed by fire 9 May 1898' (S3). Rebuilt in red brick 1899. Bought & converted into an asylum for alcoholics 1903. Requisitioned by the army 1939 and was so damaged by 1945 that it was pulled down (S4).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> (No record type): Kenwothy-Browne, J.. Kenworth-Browne J, et al, Burkes & Savills Guide to Country Houses, III, E Anglia, 1981.
  • <S2> (No record type): Brown C, Haward B, Kindred R, Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, 1991, 56.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 392.
  • <S4> (No record type): Deben Valley Place Names, Rendlesham, anon 1980s, 22.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 15 1994 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.