Monument record NAC 045 - Rectangular ditched enclosure and linear field boundaries of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 206 410 (708m by 392m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Cropmark of large rectangular enclosure or field/s, possibly 170m by 90m with subrectangular enclosure, circa 100m by circa 100m(?) partially using same side/s (?), linked to field boundaries to N and E (S1). All on different alignment to present fields and roads, but matching that of enclosures/fields to SW (IPS 028) & SE (NAC 046).
A probable ditched rectilinear enclosure, field boundaries and possible trackway of unknown date are visible on aerial photographs, centred on TM 20604095 to the north of Ipswich Road in Nacton and Purdis Farm parishes. The possible trackway appears to be double ditched in some sections and runs discontinuously for 740m from TM 20944088 to TM 20264115. It may be a field boundary. Three sides of a rectilinear enclosure, centred on TM 20684097, are also visible and this feature appears to cut the possible trackway/boundary. Other linear ditched features are visible on different alignments to the enclosure and trackway/boundary ditch. The dates of the feature are unclear. (S2) (S3) (S4) NB (S1) was not available for consultation therefore the features on this photograph need checking against those plotted. (S5)
Another possible double-ditched trackway is visible to the south of these features, centred on TM 20714084. (S6)
- <S1> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/92364 143 XX-XXX-1992.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2040/1 (956/207) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2140/1 (956/214) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S4> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2041/1 (SFU 11564/16) 21-JUL-1977.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 18/06/03.
- <S6> SXS50150 Photograph: GetMapping.com. 1999. Cities Revealed GetMapping digital survey. 1:10000. Suffolk Area C 25/26-JUN-1999.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 1:35PM