Monument record NAC 046 - Post Medieval field boundaries.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 210 402 (417m by 677m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
L-shaped cropmark, circa 120m N-S and 160m E-W, part of field boundary (or possibly enclosure)(S1). On different alignment to present fields and roads but matching that of enclosures/fields to W & NW (IPS 028 & NAC 045).
Possible Post Medieval field boundaries are visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 20954034 to the south of Ipswich Road, Nacton. The linear ditches are arranged on two alignments and appear to represent the remains of a rectilinear field system (S2) (S3). The ditches are on a similar alignments as those shown to the west on a map of Ipwish, Nacton and Levington dated 1768-1770 which may suggest that the field boundaries are of Post Medieval date (S4). Photograph (S1) was not available for consultation but it has been assumed that the photograph shows the same features as seen on (S2) and (S3). (S5)
Also bronze stud found whilst metal detecting in 2002. S6
- <S1> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/92 64 176 XX-XXX-1992.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2140/1 (956/213) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2140/2 (956/216) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S4> SXS50134 Map: 1768-70. Ipswich, Nacton and Levington - Sewells and Park Farms. 1768-1770.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 17/06/03.
- <S6> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. Minter, F., SCCAS. Sf9431..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 1:36PM