Monument record STT 021 - Site of small sub-rectangular or oval enclosure of unknown but possible prehistoric date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3196 4442 (33m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTTISHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- SUBRECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- SUBRECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC?)
- OVAL ENCLOSURE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC?)
- MORTUARY ENCLOSURE? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC?)
- OVAL BARROW? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC?)
- LONG BARROW? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC?)
- OVAL ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
Cropmark of possible small sub-rectangular or oval enclosure, approximately 35m x 20m, in field to S of Shottisham village, 200m NE of ring ditch, STT 020 (S1).
January 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The small sub-rectangular or oval enclosure described above, which is of unknown but possibly prehistoric date, is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs (S2)-(S3). Its size and form is reminiscent of features interpreted as possible mortuary enclosures or long or oval barrows of Neolithic date. The cropmark is rather poorly defined compared to other marks in the field, perhaps reflecting a non-archaeological origin, but this could instead reflect a feature that has been reworked over time, or a ditch with sides with a relatively gentle gradient. On some photos, for example (S4), its appearance is much more reminiscent of a modern, agricultural or quarry pit.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 29th January 2016.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP, BNL 103, June 1973.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BNL 103.
- <S2> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service CUCAP BNL103 22-JUN-1973 (Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 25-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 29-JAN-2016 (Digital).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/79 V 5131-5132 27-JUL-1948 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 22 2016 10:23AM