Monument record BNG 006 - Moat Plantation
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9684 7742 (75m by 85m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BARNINGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Long pond, parallel sided, c. 80m x 25m, stream-fed at the north end. Now silted water surrounded by woodland and with yew trees lining the sides (S1). Shown on the Enclosure Map of 1798 as a regularly shaped pond with parallel and straight long sides, with a curved southern end and a straighter northern one. Shown as set with hedged fields, the southern end penetrating through a hedge line (S2).
Probably a fishpond associated with Barningham Hall, on whose land it lay in 1798. Marked as `moat' on 1843 tithe map (S3).
- <S1> SSF1354 (No record type): Bolton, Tango, FWAG, 1994.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1) and part copy of (S2).
- <S2> SSF10564 (No record type): Lingwood, W.J.M.. Lingwood W J M, tracing of 1798 Enclosure Map; original in SRO(B).
- <S3> SSF1155 Map: 1843. Barningham Tithe Map. Barningham Tithe Map, 1843, SRO(B) T54A/2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 21 2009 1:11PM