Monument record BRD 105 - Post medieval enclosure, possibly a ‘clapper’ associated with Brandon Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 807 825 (155m by 97m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rectangular enclosure shown on OS 1:10,000 map, west of `Mother Quy's Corner' (S1).
November 1994: Area badly damaged by recent Forestry Commission raking but remains of banks still evident. Detailed survey needed to confirm alignment and details of banks same as OS mapping.
Enclosure at east end of (warren?) banks, ELV 024. Note similar enclosure at north end of warren bank in Santon Downham - see STN 040.
Needs checking on earlier large scale OS maps and tithe.
January 2019. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The rectangular enclosure described above is visible as earthworks on imagery from a 2015 lidar survey (S3). As it is depicted on 19th (S4) and 20th century (S1) Ordnance Survey maps, it is presumably of post medieval to modern date (the warren was still in existence in 1917, S5), and there are some indications that, to its east, it perhaps overlies one of the boundary banks of Brandon Warren (part of SHER BRD 082). It has been suggested that the enclosure could be a ‘clapper’ – an area within a rabbit warren, set aside as a nursery for pregnant does (S6). As the lidar survey was flown relatively recently, it is probable that the earthworks still survive.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 17th January 2019.
- <S1> SSF12483 (No record type): OS, 1:10,000 map, TL 88 SW, 1980.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (Elveden)(S2).
- <S2> SSF20105 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, field report ELV 024, November 1994.
- <S3> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S4> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map.
- <S5> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. p16.
- <S6> SSF58551 Unpublished document: The Breckland Society. 2017. The Internal Archaeology of the Breckland Warrens. p12.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 11 2019 6:27PM