Monument record ASN 012 - Assington Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 935 389 (611m by 889m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ASSINGTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Assington Park. Associated with Assington Hall site/s (ASN 001 & 008). Landscaped in 1750 when village (situated S of church now earthworks - see ASN 005) reputedly moved to its present position (S3). Park said to be of 80 acres in 1907 (S1). Park indistinctly shown on Hodskinson's map of 1783 but avenue clearly shown (S4). Park & avenue shown on map of 1817 (S5). Park later extended to E, engulfing the church and the former green (see ASN 013); road diverted further to the east. 1817 map shows various buildings within the park that have now disappeared.
Details in (R1). Defined on HER map after (S2).
See ASN 029 for medieval deer park record (extent unknown).
- <R1> SSF23226 (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk, ms.
- <M1> SSF42986 (No record type): Parks Survey: (Ipswich).
- <S1> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 9.
- <S2> SSF12829 (No record type): OS, 1st ed 1 inch: 1 mile map, 1838.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracing of (S5).
- <R2> SSF889 (No record type): Assington Church & Hall, PSIA, 11, 225.
- <S3> SSF7028 Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
- <S4> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S5> SSF891 (No record type): Assington enclosure map 1817, SRO Bury 993/8/1,2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 1 2018 2:26PM