Monument record ERL 089 - RAF Lakenheath, Child Development Centre (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7261 8000 (50m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
June 1995: Single crouched burial found by workmen in service trench next to building 421. Site examined - no sign of grave cut in formed soil over burial, which was only about 45cm deep below present ground surface (and only circa 20cm below ancient ground surface?), overlying hard, decayed chalk. Bones in fairly good condition although some were lost during excavation of the trench. Probably prehistoric. No other burials or finds from about 25m length of trenches noted. Details and sketches in (S1).
Findspot mislocated to TL 7289 8008, relocated to TL 7263 8000 in October 1996 (S2) AND (S4).
2001 & 2002: Large area excavations uncovered Middle Iron Age pits (with some scored ware), LIA/Early Rom ditch systems and ESax features (S3).
2003: Radiocarbon dated to 2450 +/-50BP (GU-10504, 770-440BC @ 2 sigma)(S3).
See also Rom & Sax.
- <S1> SSF20847 (No record type): SAU, Tester A, field report, June 1995.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S3).
- <S2> SSF20858 (No record type): SAU, Tester A, October 1996.
- <S3> SSF50028 Excavation archive: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Excavation Report. SCCAS, Caruth J, No 2003/100, Dec 2003, ill.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), p.98.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2017 2:24PM