Monument record OCC 004 - Large Post Medieval smock mill.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1562 7051 (52m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||OCCOLD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Large six-storey smock mill, said to have been moved from Eye c.1860. It worked until c.1921 and was demolished shortly after. The two-storey base remains as a store. It once had six sails, but later had four patent sails, an ogee cap with gallery and fantail, and three paris of stones (S1). A post mill, mapped in 1826 & on the tithe map of 1841, had occupied the same site (S2)(S3)(R1)(R2).
- <R1> SSF2453 (No record type): Bryant, map 1826.
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 45.
- <R2> SSF12333 Map: 1841. Occold Tithe Map and Apportionment. Occold Tithe map, SRO (Ipswich), 1841.
- <S2> SSF6476 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills 1979, 138 & 147.
- <S3> SSF5322 (No record type): Dolman P, List of Suffolk Windmills on maps, circa 1970.
- <S4> SSF56643 Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments. NRI01.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. BF004927.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2021 10:08AM