Monument record BCB 017 - Ballingdon Chapel; (Chapel of Brothers of St Thomas the Martyr?)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 862 406 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBURY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
`Site of Ballingdon Chapel C12', sited (very approx?) according to (S1). Chapel of Belidune (Ballingdon) of Eli de Sumery, purchased in 1120 together with All Saints Church, Sudbury (SUY 035) by Adam the Monk, cellarer of the Abbey of St Albans (S2).
`Dutch prisoners confined in the church, 1675' (S4). Barker states that `During the first Dutch ware... the Church was converted into a prison, and stated to have been "ruinated" by the prisoners', but he confuses `the church' with All Saints, Sudbury (S2). It may be that `the church' was demolished shortly after the 1675 `ruination'?
A chapel or church is symbolised on Saxton's 1575 map of Suffolk at `Bullington' in same approximate location (S3).
At Ballingdon there was a chapel of the Brothers of St Thomas the Martyr (S4)(S5) - ?rededicated to St Thomas in later C12. see also (S6)
(S6) documentary search casts doubt on the dedication of the chapel, suggesting that the chapel dedicated to St Thomas the Marty located at 'Sidolves Mere' is infact located at Sicklesmere , not here.
(For two water-mills (elsewhere described as being under one roof) probably at Hun mills (afterwards the paper mill) on Cranfield Farm (Long Melford?) as listed in the chartulary of Abbot John de Norwold in 1287 (ibid 233)).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <S1> SSF6637 (No record type): Freeman E, Sudbury's Story: `A Thousand Years in the History of a small English Town', 8-9, map.
- <S2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 339.
- <S3> SSF21008 (No record type): Saxon C, map, SVFFOLCIAE, 1575.
- <S4> SSF17543 (No record type): Redstone V B, PSIA, 23, 1937, 51.
- <S5> SSF15522 (No record type): Parker Sir W, The History of Long Melford, 1873, 237.
- <S6> SSF52133 Unpublished document: Craven, J.. 2005. Archaeological evaluation report. Snells Garge, Ballingdon Hill, Sudbury.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2012 12:40PM