Monument record MNL 485 - Earthwork banks, Mildenhall Warren (PMed)

Please read our .

Summary

Single (clearly double in places) earthwork bank surrounding most of Mildenhall Warren, running for approximately 4.5km (minimum).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 723 752 (3120m by 2469m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL77NW
Civil Parish ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Single (clearly double in places) earthwork bank surrounding most of Mildenhall Warren, running for approximately 4.5km (minimum). Variable preservation and dimensions, from 5m wide x 1m high in the NE, to 1m wide x 80cm high in the SE. Area formerly warren, now coniferous plantation.
Documents of 1730s in Suffolk Record Office indicate that the bank was created (or strengthened?) to solve a land dispute between the keeper of Mildenhall Warren and the tenant of the Icklingham lands to the north and east. The latter was complaining that rabbits from the warren were destroying crops. Letter of 1732 outlines the agreement to build a bank separating these two lands, to be kept up for a minimum of five years (S1).
Mildenhall Warren was established by 1323 and the warren lodge (MNL 134) is dated to the C14 - owned by Bury Abbey (S2). It was increased at the end of the C14 to include land which had been arable (S3).
1812 Enclosure map and 1859 tithe map shows western boundary not surveyed, although some lengths of bank may still remain under the coniferous plantation (S4)(S5). Note SE area of arable on 1859 map (see MNL 484).
Also Med.
Note: internal banks shown on OS 1884 (& other) maps appear to subdivide warren into 2 (or more) parts. The second, smaller, area to the SE surrounds a second possible warren lodge site (MNL 510).
For mapping see med & MNL 553.

2010: The Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breckland identified perimeter banks and warren lodge. Low banks survive along the northern perimeter and there are traces along the southern perimeter parallel to the Bury Road. Those on the eastern boundary have disappeared under later gravel workings and on the western boundary have been obliterated by the modern road systems. Trapping banks are marked on the 1807 Enclosure Map in the north-east corner but are not visible on the ground. The enclosure map shows the warren of 1,066 acres (S6).

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> (No record type): Miscellaneous papers relating to warrens, SRO(B).
  • <S2> (No record type): Bailey M, (1989) "A Marginal Economy?", 132.
  • <S3> (No record type): Bailey M, (1989) "A Marginal Economy?", 236/253.
  • <S4> (No record type): Enclosure Map of Mildenhall, 1812, SRO(B) QRI 30A.
  • <S5> Map: 1859. Mildenhall Tithe Map. Tithe map Mildenhall, 1859, SRO(B) T97/2.
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. P 27.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Apr 13 2018 1:59PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.