Monument record MNL 553 - Mildenhall Warren; Mildenhall Woods
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7361 7526 (3088m by 2453m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Mildenhall Warren, established by 1247-8 - note in discussion of the rabbit industry Gransden notes 'The Mildenhall accounts for the year from 17 Oct 1247 to 11 Oct 1248 record receipt of 15s from the warren.' (S1)
Line of some boundaries, especially to S, not known.
The cellarer of Bury Abbey was receiving income from Mildenhall Warren by 1323. After the Dissolution it was owned consecutively by the Bacon, North and Bunbury families (S2).
2010: The Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breckland identified perimeter banks and warren lodge. Low banks survive along the northern perimeter and there are traces along the southern perimeter parallel to the Bury Road. Those on the eastern boundary have disappeared under later gravel workings and on the western boundary have been obliterated by the modern road systems. Trapping banks are marked on the 1807 Enclosure Map in the north-east corner but are not visible on the ground. The enclosure map shows the warren of 1,066 acres (S2) (S3)(S4).
For summary and external banks see MNL 485.
For internal bank see MNL 484
For Warren Lodges see MNL 134 & MNL 510
For possible pillow mounds see MNL 516 & MNL 517.
Formerly included under MNL 485 (separated 4/3/2005).
- <S1> SSF50245 Bibliographic reference: Gransden, Antonia. 2007. A History of The Abbey of Bury St Edmunds 1182-1256. p260..
- <S2> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. P 27.
- <S3> SSF58551 Unpublished document: The Breckland Society. 2017. The Internal Archaeology of the Breckland Warrens. p.20.
- <S4> SSF58553 Unpublished document: Mason, A.. 2009. The Archaeology of the Warrens of Thetford Forest. p.12 an illustration p.21.
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: Earthwork banks, Mildenhall Warren (Med) (Monument) (MNL 485)
- Parent of: Earthwork banks, Mildenhall Warren (PMed) (Monument) (MNL 485)
- Parent of: Old Keepers Lodge, W of High Lodge Farm, Mildenhall Warren. (Building) (MNL 134)
- Parent of: Possible pillow mound, Compartment 5023, Mildenhall Woods (Monument) (MNL 516)
- Parent of: Possible pillow mound, Compartment 5023, Mildenhall Woods (Monument) (MNL 517)
- Parent of: Site of second warrener's lodge, Three Hillls, Mildenhall Warren (Monument) (MNL 510)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 8 2018 1:19PM