Monument record MNL 485 - Earthwork banks, Mildenhall Warren (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 729 757 (3118m by 2471m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Earthwork bank/s surrounding most of Mildenhall Warren (see MNL 553), running for approximately 4.5km (minimum). Variable preservation and dimensions, from 5m wide x 1m high in the NE, to 1m wide x 80cm high in the SE. Map in parish file detailing areas surveyed. Area formerly warren, now coniferous plantation.
Documents of 1730s in Suffolk Record Office indicate that the bank was created (or strengthened?) to solve a land dispute between the keeper of Mildenhall Warren and the tenant of the Icklingham lands to the north and east. The latter was complaining that rabbits from the warren were destroying crops. Letter of 1732 outlines the agreement to build a bank separating these two lands, bot be kept up for a minimum of five years (S1).
Mildenhall Warren was established by 1323 and the warren lodge (MNL 134) is dated to the C14/C15 (?), when owned by Bury Abbey. It was increased at the end of the C14 to include land which had been arable (S3).
1812 Enclosure map and 1859 tithe map shows western boundary not surveyed, although some lengths of bank may still remain under the coniferous plantation (S4)(S5).
Note internal banks shown on OS 1884 (& other) maps appear to subdivide warren into 2 (or more) parts. The second, smaller area, to the SE surrounds a second warren lodge site (MNL 510).
Note SE area arable on 1859 map (see MNL 484).
2010: The Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breckland identified perimeter banks and warren lodge. Low banks survive along the northern perimeter and there are traces along the southern perimeter parallel to the Bury Road. Those on the eastern boundary have disappeared under later gravel workings and on the western boundary have been obliterated by the modern road systems. Trapping banks are marked on the 1807 Enclosure Map in the north-east corner but are not visible on the ground. The enclosure map shows the warren of 1,066 acres (S6).
- <S1> SSF11402 (No record type): Miscellaneous papers relating to warrens, SRO(B).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S2> SSF951 (No record type): Bailey M, (1989) "A Marginal Economy?", 132.
- <S3> SSF952 (No record type): Bailey M, (1989) "A Marginal Economy?", 236/253.
- <S4> SSF5703 (No record type): Enclosure Map of Mildenhall, 1812, SRO(B) QRI 30A.
- <S5> SSF11365 Map: 1859. Mildenhall Tithe Map. Tithe map Mildenhall, 1859, SRO(B) T97/2.
- <S6> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2018 1:58PM